Saturday, November 12, 2011

Observations


So today I spent the whole day traveling only for a major let-down at the end. So really, today’s post is just some observations for the day. I ended up traveling through Tours again today. When I think back to the last time I was there, it seems so much longer than it’s actually been. I was in a different area of the city, and let me tell you, it was a totally different feel.

I went to the Tourism Office in Tours to see if they could tell me the best way to get from Chinon to Fontevraud, and the girl behind the counter immediately started laughing. “It’s complicated…” she said before embarking on a series of phone calls to the tourism offices in Chinon, Saumur, and Fontevraud before finally just telling me, “it’ll probably be easier to just get a taxi and pay the extra money.” Which I kind of figured.

 I’ve run into a lot of rather smelly French people, but today I’ve encountered my first over-cologned Frenchman. After two-and-a-half months, finally I’ve found someone who smells too good.

I saw something today that was a sight for sore eyes (okay, I’m lying… I’d be okay if I’d never seen one of these again, but it’s been the first time since I left America)… a strip-mall! It was a pretty bizarre sight and seemed so not French.

I had booked my hotel this morning immediately before leaving on the trip. However, I was a complete dumbass and forgot to write down where I was staying. So while I was on my bus trip to Chinon, I frantically tried to get text messages to my mom and sister to ask them to retrieve the address for me. I was off on my estimation for the address, but not by much… just one word. And eight blocks.

Finally I arrived in Chinon, hoping to see the castle illuminated up on the hill, and… it’s pitch black. So I still haven’t seen the castle. God I’m excited to go see this thing tomorrow morning, you don’t even know. Tomorrow’s update should be good.

No comments:

Post a Comment