Friday, November 25, 2011

You learn something new every day


Happy Black Friday everyone, I hope you’ve all been celebrating this joyous day accordingly by trampling customers to death outside of department stores. It seems to me that France has somehow figured out that today is the first official day of Christmas, because suddenly it’s winter here.
The weird thing about fog in Pau? It doesn't burn off at all.
 As the title of my post implies, I learned something new today. Apparently, you can leave a USB flash drive in your pocket and put it through the washer and drier, and you won’t even lose the data you had stored on it. Now I know, and knowing is half the battle (G.I. Joe!).

So the real story today is that today was Turkey Day Part Deux for me and a handful of my classmates. Melanie, the resident Canadian, invited us to invade her house and partake of a delicious dinner in celebration of all things American.
Our lovely hostess.
 We had a lot of fun, and two of our professors joined us in the party. Madame Gely was funnier than usual (when she speaks English, she sounds very disdainful, and it’s hilarious). She had quite a bit to drink and then started trading curse words with all of the students (she taught us a few, but the funniest moment was her practicing the pronunciation of “mother-f***er”). Then, she moved on to her favorite music and asked us about any songs about loving America. She started by singing “I’m proud to be an American” but fell apart at the “where at least I know I’m free” part. Then she asked about Bruce Springsteen and started singing “Born in the USA,” which is when I corrected her that it’s actually a very un-patriotic song. She then went on to tell us all about a student in another class who really annoyed her. It was a completely different side of any teacher that I’ve ever seen, and it was awesome.
See if you can pick out the teacher.
 But, eventually I had to leave, because I have to go to sleep so that I can wake up in about 6 hours, because I’m going to Carcassonne tomorrow. I think I’m more excited to go this time than I was the first time. That place is awesome.

No comments:

Post a Comment